The Bell Tower (also known as Clock Tower) is located on Changdi Road near the Renmin Bridge.
The Bell Tower of Haikou was built in 1929. The project was initiated by the patriotic businessman Zhou Chengmei, and was completed by businessmen in Haikou as well as overseas Chinese whose hometown is Hainan. The tower had five levels, and the big bell resided at the top level. The tower was walled with red bricks and white lime.
In 1987, the old tower was pulled down because of the extension of Changdi Road. A new bell tower was built near the original site. The new Bell Tower was finished on December 15, 1987. The look of the new tower is similar to the old one, but there are also some changes. Now the big bell is at the sixth level, and it rings every 30 minutes.
The new Bell Tower has become another tourist attraction of Haikou. In October 1989, it was listed among the Eight Scenes of Haikou, with the title of “GuZhong Xin Sheng (Old Tower with New Sound)”.